Sunday, July 10, 2011

Argentina Day 10

6-24-11


Woke up for yet another early morning, the lack of sleep is definitely starting to kick in that is for sure! We went to my now favorite winery, Familia Zuchardi. I felt super comfortable there and I learned the most AND they are on there way to becoming an organic winery. They have a delicious Organic Malbec. Yum! It is kind of like the Whole Foods/Merc for wine products. Our tour guide actually went to Penn State in the U.S. He was very informative and let us try the organic Malbec. You are supposed to look at the wine, smell it and then finally taste it. This process is in order of the complexity of senses. It is so funny when he asks what you smell. We just made stuff up, “winter green with a hint of honeysuckle.” Ha ha. Next we kept up with our tradition of eating and drinking continuously. We went to lunch at the Familia Zuchardi restaurant and I have NEVER in my life experienced any dining experience like it. We had at least 10 courses. Simply amazing food, but a SLIGHT overload on the portions. I loved the endless grilled veggies and the asparagus soup; my body need it badly. I would love to own an earthy dining room like that someday. And of course, they had wine to match each part of the meal. It almost became comical. With our post dessert coffee we got even more cookies. I couldn't handle it and skipped out on massive amounts of meat. I bought some Tardio sweet dessert wine and the Malbec organic wine to have with friends and family when I get home. Super happy about those! After that, Margie and I went shopping for our brothers and of course ended up getting stuff for ourselves. Spanish magazines! I got Woman's Day! When Margie and I were shopping we ran into a Belgian that said he got everything stolen at a bus stop – everything, passport and all. He seemed pretty genuine but ya never know. For dinner we went to an olive oil tasting place and had an exquisite dinner. Just another day in MENdoza.


Argentina Day 11

6-25-11
Epic day. Woke up early to head to the Andes Mountains. Rough start because I forgot my purse and couldn't remember where I left it. Nothing I could do about it so I just put it out of my mind and focused on the day. Later I found my purse was safe in my suitcase... of course! We made several scenic stops to take pictures along the way. Absolutely beautiful and breathtaking experience. It was funny because we all layered up with whatever we had left as far as clothes go because it was so cold. We went sledding on the Andes Mtns which was awesome. Despite being really cold we had fun. Feet were numb! Definitely went down on my stomach with Taylor – hilarious! Next we saw a natural bridge with natural springs. Pretty cool. We then went to lunch and it was sketchy. I got a steak pizza – enough said. We headed down the mountain and saw Aconcagua. One of the 7 highest peaks in the world. Amazing! When we got back Margie and I did some more shopping around the beloved vendors. I actually got some gifts for other people. Go me! Dinner consisted of appetizers and wine at a fancy place. Needless to say, I got my money's worth of wine and was feeling more than great – as everyone else was too. After the lovely meal, Heather, Margie, Taylor, Kara and I went to Maurulas bar. We wanted to go to PPTH or something which was a discoteca. Sadly, it was too early. This ended up being an amazing turn of events though! We got to sit by some super cute Argentine boys :) There was quite the language barrier which was hilarious. They started using google translate on their phones and asking questions. They were on a pro motocross team – interesting! It was cute because they were trying to decipher what we said. Something I learned – flirting is a universal language. Ha ha! Such a fun day.

Argentina Day 12

6-26-11

Today was our last day in MENdoza. Ha ha! Sore throat is definitely kicking in – of course. I knew it was only a matter of time! We woke up and went to a winery for our empanada cooking lesson. Everything about it was beautiful. The wood fire place, gorgeous vineyards, and to top it off we got to sip tea next to it – perfecto! The empanada making was interesting. They use legit animal fat – sick! But they taste so freaking good. While they cooked we went to another wine tasting. I think we are are all legit pros at these tastings by now. It was a lot of the same stuff we have seen and we were all tired and feeling bad today. Wonder why? No sleep! We then had our wonderful meal. I thoroughly enjoyed the freshly baked rolls, steak soup and grilled veggies. After that we went to the LAST of our wine tastings at Andeluna. We were pretty slap happy at this point and didn't want any more wine. Now we are on the overnight bus ride to Buenos Aires. I am almost starting to like these rides because I can catch up on my journals and sleep. I miss home, family, friends, normal food, exercise, bubble baths, my lifestyle! I also miss my internships and writing. I can't wait to get back into the swing of things! Only three more whole days and then I leave Thursday. Home sweet home here I come!

Argentina Day 13

6-27-11

Today I woke up on the bus. NOT a good feeling. The bus was freezing so I woke up repeatedly in the night. Nico was there to pick us up with his cheerful attitude and big smile. I had to give him a hug because I was tired of our other boring guides and it was refreshing to see him. We got to Bristol Hotel and quickly changed into business casual clothes. Nothing like an overnight bus trip and throwing on some biz casual. We went straight to a church – of course! Then to La Boca where Margie, Kara and I got tea and I got my brothers La Boca soccer jerseys. I wish that I got to go into the stadium – oh well! Someday I will! Next we went to a brewery so Jonah could work on his project, not really my cup of tea. Also we went to a grocery store to get snacks. Their grocery stores and granola bars are pretty weak compared to the US. For lunch we went to a pizza place. Next we went to the TV station and got a tour. It is crazy how many people they have working on different news aspects to create a single product. We then proceeded to walk and shop all the way back to our hotel which was at least an hour walk in the city and it felt so good! I am feeling pretty tired and ready to go home at this point. I miss all of the little comforts about the US. I love traveling but home sweet home will always be the best. I can't wait to be reunited with my family and friends and Whole Foods. We went to a dinner at that brewery tonight for a taste of some American food. Man I miss America! This has been on outstanding experience but I am very ready to peace out. :) Goodnight!

Argentina Day 14

6-28-11

All of the days are running together at this point. Good news – the hotel breakfast staff can make scrambled eggs! I wish we would have found out about this sooner. Everyone is starting to miss American food. We have been eating Americanized food for the last 24 hours and I am loving it. I miss the simple things like being able to pay separate bills at restaurants, free water, free refills, diet coke no coca light, and ice in my drink. This morning we had our visit to an ad agency called MEC. MediaEdge CIA was a smaller ad agency of about 50 workers. I really liked the feel of the company. The information was very interesting because the social media had a lot to do with what I have learned about through my internship with College Lifestyles. They talk about branding and target audiences in the same light as CL. I really enjoyed being able to relate it to my own personal experiences. These experiences definitely spark something within me that wants to explore and learn more and more about the world. I am so eager to get back and work on my internships and apply my new knowledge to old tasks. This trip has inspired me to travel more, learn to speak more Spanish, cook new dishes, work even harder towards my goal of becoming an editor, and just reading about different cultures in general. For lunch we went to a restaurant called Kansas. KANSAS! It had all American food. We were all in heaven that is for sure. I could actually get a legit chicken salad that tasted like home. :) It was crazy that Argentina had a restaurant called KS, out of all of the states that they could have picked. I'm not complaining though! When I got back to the hotel Nico was waiting for me to go to my interview at their huge local gym, Eba. It was incredibly nice of Nico to take time out of his day to walk me to the gym and translate for me. I interviewed a personal trainer and a regular gym staff member. It is interesting that they have BodyPump at their gym. It really is a global chain of group fitness. I love how it is so similar throughout the world. It made me eager to get back and work on memorizing the bodypump tracks! The personal trainer had to go through a lot more schooling to become a professional which I thought was interesting. I just relaxed until we took a taxi to the Woman's Bridge. It was so pretty with the Casa Rosada across the street lit up with pink lights. Our group finally settled on.... TGI FRIDAYS! Can you believe they had one? I was digging it. I must really be missing home because I was relieved to be in there. I mean it's TGI Fridays... c'mon! I did get normal diet Pepsi AND refills but no ice. I mean it's getting closer to the American way. Whooo! We are all so tired. Tomorrow is a free day and we leave for home on Thursday! I am so excited. This has been an incredible trip and experience but I am more than ready to get back to my regular lifestyle. I have definitely developed a new appreciation for the little things at home. Time for some sleep. Can't wait to SLEEP IN! We are going to McDonalds tomorrow to get free wifi. I am going to try to finish typing up all of my blog entries tonight so that I can load them tomorrow.


XOXO

Maggie

Argentina Day 15

6-29-11

Today I slept in and a few of us went to Mickey D's to get wifi. It was good I got to post some blogs, check FB and e-mail. I went shopping in Palermo with Margie and Heather. It was a beautiful day so it was nice to get out and walk. We went to Gran Cafe. A cute little cafe on the corner street. I got my favorite – Caprese salad. We just got back and are hanging out until dinner. Can't wait to be on the plane heading home :)
-MAGS

Argentina Day 16

6-30-11

Today was our last day in Argentina. Bittersweet. We have all become so close and it will be weird not to be together 24/7. We went shopping in Tigre and went sailing on the Tigre river. Pretty sweet. They have everything on the water including floating markets. I got some of my favorite rose earrings while shopping. They have some really original designs here! We went to the Colon Theatre after that. The theatre is gorgeous - marble designs everywhere. I absolutely loved the marble, maybe get some French marble for my future house? Haha. We also got to sit in the presidents seat for shows! By this time we were eating lunch at 4 so of course we were starving. Literally walked into the first restaurant we saw. This was a packed day considering we had an international flight in the evening. After everything was packed we headed to the airport. Time was cut VERY close - I about had a heart attack. Stress during travels - no bueno. Kara and I got to sit by each other on the overnight flight. What an adventure Argentina was. :) I am definitely going to come back - AFTER I work on my Spanish!

Chau!

-Mags


No comments:

Post a Comment